After the formation of the first surf life saving clubs in the seaside suburbs of Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong, the association spread quickly throughout those metropolitan areas. Surf clubs here were slower forming as the Mid North Coast was tremendously isolated with a much smaller population. The lack of adequate road and rail systems contributed to this isolation.

The first recorded Club in the Mid North Coast area was Port Macquarie, which was formed in 1910. South West Rocks was established in 1919 and soon after in 1921 a Club was formed at Kempsey-Crescent Head. Originally members of the MNC Branch, Blackhead formed in 1925, followed by Taree-Old Bar in 1928. Tuncurry was established in 1931 and while some reports of a surf club at Forster in 1925 exist, little is known of that club until they reformed in 1945.

The Clubs had originally affiliated directly with Surf Life Saving Australia, then with the Northern Branch of the Association at Newcastle until 1929, when the Mid North Coast Branch was officially formed.

The Branch grew in 1936 when the Macksville-Scotts Head was formed, and was again strengthened by the formation in quick succession of Camden Haven and Hat Head, in 1947 and 1948 respectively.

In June 1955, the Mid North Coast Branch met and decided to form two Branches to overcome the traveling that was necessitated by so many carnivals – at that stage from Scotts Head to Forster. The move was to have the new Branch from Forster to Port Macquarie, leaving the Macleay Clubs on their own, but the decision went south of Camden Haven to Cape Hawke.

This meant that the four southern Clubs (those being Taree-Old Bar, Blackhead, Forster and Tuncurry) would separate from the Mid North Coast and become foundation members of the newly formed Lower North Coast Branch.

This left six clubs (Port Macquarie, South West Rocks, Kempsey-Crescent Head, Macksville-Scotts Head, Camden Haven and Hat Head) in the Mid North Coast Branch.

A Surf Club was formed at Grassy Head in 1957, and then after a brief existence from 1928 to 1937, we welcomed the reformed Wauchope-Bonny Hills Club to the Branch in 1958.

The Branch received a blow in 1963 when they were informed that due to dwindling numbers and support the Grassy Head Club would be forced to disband. This returned the Branch to seven affiliated Clubs again.

In 1974, the Branch grew again to include the Tacking Point Club, boosting the number of affiliated clubs to eight.

These eight clubs (Port Macquarie, South West Rocks, Kempsey-Crescent Head, Macksville-Scotts Head, Camden Haven, Hat Head, Wauchope-Bonny Hills and Tacking Point) remain today as current members of the Mid North Coast Branch.

Visit the Newcastle Permanent Website Visit the Safe

Football Club Websites, Soccer Club Websites


  
  
  
  
  
  

Join us on Facebook
Powered by SportSites